I don't get it...

I don’t get it.
I don’t understand how the God who placed the stars in the sky can look down upon me and still call me beautiful.  How the God who is nothing but beautiful can look at me in my brokenness and still tell me He loves me. How the Lord of all creation dares to even know my name.
I don’t get it.
I cannot comprehend why the God who is above all things took the time to carefully create me. Not only that, but He takes the time to learn everything about me, to listen to me, to answer me.
I don’t get it.
I fail to grasp the idea that the God most high would have the audacity to love me so much that He would give up His own son as a living sacrifice in order to provide a bridge between Himself and me.
I don’t get it.

When I think about my past, what I have done, my sin and my shame, my guilt and my pain, I cannot understand why Jehovah-Elohim still insists on loving me. I don’t deserve it. It’s as simple as that.

I think that often times as Christians, we falsely think that we deserve God’s grace. But oh, how wrong we are. If we are to deserve anything, it is an eternity in the fiery pits of hell. For it is because of us – because of me – that Christ was nailed to that tree. Yet despite my deliberate disobedience and everyday denial, Christ still loves me, and His arms are constantly held open, awaiting the moment I will turn to accept His embrace. His arms are open to all of us. The invitation still stands. The God of the universe, Jehovah-Elohim, still loves you.
Let me say that again.
The God who created the moon and the stars loves you. The God who knows every rock and tree and creature by name still looks at you and calls you His. The God who has everything He could possibly want still looks at you in all your sin and your brokenness and still moves mountains just to be with you. The great I AM still pursues you. Yet, I am too busy to pay Him any attention.
I don’t get it.
I don’t understand.
I cannot comprehend.
I fail to grasp.
The Father of the Universe has done nothing but woo me, pursue me, and love me, and I continuously turn my head.
Yet despite my stubbornness, my God continues to show me the love that only He who is Love itself could bestow upon my shameful face.

I simply don’t get it.

Comments

Popular Posts