The Literal Best Coffee You Will Ever Taste.

Happy Monday, y’all!

            Today I decided to try something a little different…*drum roll, please!*…A RECIPE POST!!!  Because who doesn’t like new recipes, yummy food, and delicious drinks :)  Plus, this recipe is just too good not to share.

            Back in 2013, I had the opportunity to travel to Chennai, India on a mission trip.  While there, we shared the gospel in local schools through worship, skits, and simply loving on the students.  In addition, we journeyed into the slums outside of the city where we offered free medical clinics for the villagers.  It was amazing and heartbreaking…  That trip touched me deeply, and further kindled my passion for missions.  I could go on forever about those two weeks living life in India and about how God revealed Himself all throughout that trip.  If you ever have the chance to go on an overseas mission, TAKE IT!  You will be forever changed.









            One of the daily traditions in southern Indian households is filter coffee.  Don’t judge this drink by its name…the “filter” part simply refers to the southern Indian tool used to make it.  And since a “filter” isn’t sold in America (I have yet to find one, anyway), I just call it “Indian coffee.” 

A south Indian filter used to make "filter coffee."

While in India, we were offered this staple at least twice a day!  And let me tell you: It. Is. Heavenly.  Literally the best coffee I have ever had!  Now, for all of y’all who, like me, aren’t huge coffee drinkers, I swear this coffee with change your minds…and your lives.  This is not normal, American coffee.  It’s Indian coffee.


            Is your mouth watering yet??  Okay…let’s get to the recipe!

Indian Coffee (South Indian Filter Coffee).
Servings:: 1
Ingredients::
-       1 Tbsp instant coffee*
-       2 Tbsp sugar
-       About ½ Tbsp water
-       1 cup milk**
-       Dash of instant coffee (to top it all off)

*I have made this recipe using both Maxwell House Original Roast Instant Coffee and Folger’s Classic Roast Instant Coffee Crystals.  I prefer Maxwell House, as it is not quite as strong as Folger’s, and (in my opinion) has a better taste overall.
**I am currently on a dairy-free diet, so I make this using Almond Breeze original, unsweetened almond milk, and I seriously cannot tell a difference.  It’s still as heavenly as ever!


Directions::
1.)   In a large mug, combine instant coffee and sugar.  Stir until mixed well.

2.)   Add water to the mixture.  Stir until the entire mixture is wet (the mixture will be crumbly).

3.)   With a hand mixer (or a fork), beat the mixture until a “paste” has formed.  If the mixture seems too dry, feel free to add a few more drops of water.
4.)   In a small sauce pot, bring milk to a boil, stirring occasionally so as not to curdle.

5.)   Remove milk from heat and immediately pour milk into the coffee mixture.  Stir quickly until well-combined and a layer of froth has formed on top of the coffee.

6.)   Add a dash of instant coffee powder on top of the mixture.
Ahhh! My mouth's watering just looking at this picture!

7.)   Serve immediately, and enjoy!

Just look at how good that looks!  Go ahead... Go make yourself a cup o' heaven.  You won't be sorry!

Comments

Popular Posts